Friday, February 6, 2015

Birthday Cards

I know this post is a bit unusual for me. I have never posted anything about the paper crafting that I do. So far most of my posts are about sewing and recipes. Well this is another craft I like to do when I am not being a wife, a mommy or a seamstress. I usually only get to do this when I "need" to since I am rather busy and in this case I "needed" two birthday cards. 
What inspired these cards was an outfit Lady Grantham was wearing during this seasons Downton Abby (am an addict!). It was during her trip to London. She wore a striking combination of deep blue green with a coppery orange. When you put those colors together they typically put me in mind of Morocco or India and places in between. I just couldn't stop thinking about it. When that happens I know I won't get it out of my head until released creatively. This did the trick. Sadly none of the pictures did the colors justice. (I really need to come up with a better lighting strategy for pictures.)
I used my Cricut and did all of the design work in the craftroom software.  I love the fact that you can sit in a comfy spot with your laptop and come up with a complete design all at once. The you just pick your papers, turn on your Cricut and just start cutting. I feel confident that the size of my cuts are just the right size too. No more guessing the size and holding your breath. I've wasted too many papers that I liked doing that.  All that's left is gluing it together and embellishing. 

I used the craftroom basic shapes for the card base and the rectangles I stamped, The Edge to Edge cartridge for the lattice work and the Elegant Edges cartridge (my favorite cart so far) for the base of my stamped pieces. The tree stamp is Flourish Fall Tree by Inkadinkado and the "Celebrate" is a clear stamp that came out of a bargain bin too long ago to remember. All of the paper came out of the core'dinations Super Assortment Nostalgia Stack.

Thank for stopping by the nest!

Darla

No comments:

Post a Comment