Sunday, August 7, 2016

Corn Avocado Dip recipe & a little about me

 Something you have probably noticed about my recipes but I have not really share a whole lot about myself is that I eat dairy and gluten free. This is true for several members of my family. Several years back I was determined to make some lifestyle changes which included how I ate. At the time one of my cousins was going through a ridged elimination diet and seeing a naturopath due to health issues. She share the Eat Right for Your Type - The Blood Type Diet book. At first I blew it off because how in the world was I going to be able to eat like that. No dairy and no wheat (as well as a bunch of other stuff) come on! I eat cheese for almost every meal and could drink a gallon of milk within a couple day's. Not to mention my addiction to a crusty loaf of bread. I still joke that I want my last meal to be a block of cheese and a loaf of good sourdough bread. Still the blood type diet it was lingering in the back of my head. 

At the time I was going through my own set of aches and pains; vertigo, one sinus infection after the other and shooting pain that ran from my hands to my elbows. Only things doctors would do is tell me to "wear arm braces because you have carpertunal" and prescribe me antibiotics to get rid of yet another sinus infection. Then one day something just clicked. I don't know if it was something I remembered reading or something someone said to me but I was determined to try this diet. Before starting I made no correlation to my pain to my diet but with in about a month of eating for my type my hand and arm pain went away and.... I will do my best not to be gross.... we'll just say my sinuses when through a great purge. That was 8 years ago and you know, I have not had a sinus infection since and colds when I rarely get them only last a couple day's. My husband who is a seasonal allergy sufferer has told me that he has found relief from his allergy symptoms since we changed how we eat too. I was sold and I never looked back.


This is not to say that I don't occasionally indulge in wheat & dairy because I do and quite often around the holiday's or anytime we are celebrating with others. But when I do, no matter how small the amount, I usually have horrible sinus headaches from the dairy and joint pain when I eat wheat. Sometimes those are great reminders why I eat how I eat. It's just not worth the pain not to eat right. I don't consider myself allergic but intolerant or sensitive to gluten and dairy. 


Well, you now know more than you ever wanted to know about my eating habits but hopefully you know what type of recipes to expect from me. I have gotten pretty good and knowing how to do exchanges in recipes and what can and can not be altered or omitted.  So has several of my family members so we share recipes quite a bit. Just like this corn salsa (is it a salsa if it doesn't have tomatoes?) below. We are big eaters when we all get together and get a little sad when we all make things that none of us should really be eating. Little by little we have been adding new favorites to the communal table and this is one of them that everyone loves.


Corn Avocado Dip

1  16 oz  organic frozen sweet corn, thawed
2  4oz cans chopped ripe (black) olives, drained
1  med red bell pepper, diced
1  small red onion, diced
5  cloves of garlic, minced
1/3 c extra virgin olive oil
1/4 c lemon juice (fresh is best)
3 tbsp white wine vinegar (not aged)
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
3 med avocado (ripe but firm), diced right before serving

Combined first 4 ingredients in large bowl. In a separate bowl whisk together remaining except avocado. Pour over corn mixture. Marinate in fridge 6 hours or over night. Right before serving mix in diced avocado.

Serve with tortilla chips.

* can replace half of the ripe olives with chopped green olives
** Also good over a salad
*** Cucumber has been used in place of avocado.
**** If you like a little spice add a jalapeno
I really hope you enjoy this recipe. Please let me know what you think. I love feed back!

Thanks for stopping by the nest!
Darla

No comments:

Post a Comment