Monday, August 5, 2013

Sausage Zucchini Skillet Recipe

It's that time of summer. My husband has a load of zucchini coming out of the garden. Time to cook up some of our go-to zucchini recipes. I am not sure if I love or hate growing this vegetable. I really enjoy it for awhile but eventually we become over run with zucchini. I figured this is great opportunity to do a week long zucchini recipe series.  Hopefully this will help me stay on top of our growing mountain of zucchini too.

This recipe is modified recipe I was given at my bridal shower. The original recipe is a stuffed acorn squash that does not have zucchini in it. I was looking for uses for zucchini and figured why not try it as a stuffed zucchini recipe. It was really yummy that way too but then I had kids. In my current stage of life if it is not simple it is just not going to happen. So this recipe was changed again this time just to be a skillet meal. I'd have to say it is just as good just not as pretty. 



We eat wheat free and dairy free in our home so I make substitutions to a lot of my recipes. Some additional explanations can be found here on my blog. If you have special dietary needs always read the labels for any processed foods (this includes condiments).


Chop the veggies and gather the rest of your ingredients. 
In a large skillet over medium high heat with oil brown the sausage. Add the veggies. Cook until meat is cooked through and veggies have softened.
Reduce heat to low and add the sour cream, mustard & cheese. To make this cow's milk free we use pecorino romano cheese made from sheep's milk instead of parmesen cheese. And Tofutti brand sour cream which is made from soy. 
Stir to combine and heat through over low heat for a couple minutes.
Serve over rice. Enjoy!


Sausage Zucchini Skillet
*W/F & *D/F substitutions provided

1 tbsp olive oil
1 lb bulk sausage (we use turkey sausage)
1 medium onion, finely diced
1/2 c diced celery
1/2 c diced carrot
2 small zucchini, diced
1/2 c sour cream (we use tofutti sour cream)
2 tbsp dijon mustard
1/4 c grated pecorino romano cheese (this is a sheep's milk cheese - parmesan can be used as an alternative)

Add oil and sausage to a large skillet. Brake up and brown the sausage over medium high heat. Add the onion, celery, carrot and zucchini. Cook till vegetables are soft and the sausage is cooked through. Reduce heat to low and stir in sour cream, dijon mustard and cheese. Serve over rice.

*W/F = Wheat Free (does not necessarily mean gluten free)
* D/F = Dairy Free (No cow's milk or anything derived from cow's milk)

Come back tomorrow for Zucchini Bread.

Thanks for stopping by the nest!

Darla

No comments:

Post a Comment